I’m Trying Something New Here
My good friend, the awesome Dr. Sara Gottfried has started doing what she calls 7 bullet Fridays which she stole from the infamous Tim Ferris.
Here’s my 5 talking points version:
1. I’ve been reflecting a lot on the nature of fear this past weekend. My family and I, along with several close family friends, did a ropes course in the Tahoe treetops. I had done this same ropes course 3 years ago at a family reunion. I was surprised this time that as I comforted/coaxed my daughter and a good friend through the easiest course, that what had seemed monumentally hard to me 3 years ago, now felt easy. I think there are so few opportunities for us to look back and see that this challenge that really scared us and provoked a lot of anxiety earlier in our career, now feels easy and natural. It’s nice to find those touch points to look back and realize how much skill you’ve gained in the past year or two. What skills/competencies have you built over the past 2 years?
2. I’m listening to the audiobook “Barking Up the Wrong Tree,” by Eric Barker right now. It’s about which notions of success we have are actually true, what are myths, and how can we use this knowledge to help ourselves. It’s a bit long but well written, easy to follow, and he packs a lot of great research-based answers about what really builds success (and even different ways to think of and define it).
3. In the past 2 weeks, three good friends (and my Mom) have mentioned the awesome podcast of interviews conducted by Krista Tippett. So I had to try it. So far I’ve listened to two interviews and already I’m captivated. Krista has really deep, meaningful conversations with interesting people about their work, their spiritual foundations, and more. The interviews really get people to reflect on what they want their work to mean in the world. It’s a lovely antidote to the 24-hour urgent news cycle. Try one!
4. I’m spent a week facilitating a course at the new 1440 Multiversity retreat center in Santa Cruz. The retreat center is gorgeous though still being built as I write. The food is lovely and fresh. The people are inspired. It’s weeks like this that add some diverse inspiration into my work, which I’m grateful for. Check out their diverse range of offerings if you’ve been looking for a nice west coast retreat/off-site class.
5. Did you see my last email with my announcement? My business name/website is changing THIS MONTH to Incite To Leadership. I’m super excited about my new website www.InciteToLeadership.com and branding. Please check it out and let me know what you think! And remember that my next newsletter will come from that address so don’t be worried you’re getting spam.
So what do you think? Please leave me a comment below to share your thoughts on this new format. I look forward to hearing from you!
Leave a Comment